The John Paulding Engine Company #1 was founded in 1901 and has been serving the people of Sparkill and Palisades for more than 110 years. Our volunteer fire company was named after John Paulding, an American Patriot, who in his capture of the British Major John Andre and the discovery of British battle plans, saved the American fortress located at West Point.
On May 21, 1904, the first recorded fire response is noted.
On April 26, 1905, the first public meeting of the Company was held. On August 1, 1906, the Secretary sent notices to residents with horses to make them available to pull the pumper and they would be compensated $3.00 for each response.
In 1906, the Company sponsored a circus and sent all of the receipts to the Chief of The San Francisco Fire Department to help recover from the devastating earthquake which had destroyed the City.
On July 27, 1907 at 2:10pm the first alarm by telephone was a fire on Andre Hill in Tappan. This fire caused damage to the pumper in the amount of $25. On October 2, 1907 a Mr.VanSciver donated his team of horses to be used free of charge.
In 1912 the “Old Firehouse” was purchased by the Company for $600.
It was later sold to the Sparkill/Palisades Fire District.
In 1956, the Ladies Auxiliary was formed.
The Company moved into its current quarters in 1970 and continues to provide premier fire protection to the residents and businesses located within the Sparkill/Palisades Fire District.